We are recruiting for a knowledge based and science led business focussed on delivering the expertise and capabilities their clients demand. They are focussed in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, chemical, food, agrochemical and consumer products sectors. They have a national footprint encompassing several sites home to scientists with in depth experience and strong problem solving skills. They are seeking a Technical Leader in Pre Formulation and Formulation.
What you’ll do:
You will be working on pre-Formulation and Formulation will lead drug development projects from materials characterisation, solid form optimisation and compatibility screening, through to formulation for pre-clinical and First in Human studies.
The role will involve experimental design and data interpretation from a diverse range of solid state and related techniques to optimise pre-formulation and formulation strategies – e.g. XRD, XRF, particle size, surface area / porosity, thermal, DVS, isothermal calorimetry, micronizing and milling techniques, freeze drying, spray drying, blending approaches hot stage and polarised light microscopy – in support of studies including but not limited to: API solid form optimisation, salt / polymorph / crystallisation / excipient compatibility screening, solvent and biorelevant solubility screens, formulation design and testing, storage stability.
As the development site for analytical techniques and methodologies it is important that the candidate has experience of the key parameters needed for accurate and precise analysis, as well as involvement in equipment purchase, installation, operation and maintenance.
The main duties of the role can be summarised:
- Revenue generating laboratory-based pre-formulation and formulation project work, applying diverse techniques to a wide range of sample types and technical challenges. May act as Lead Scientist or Project Manager, as required.
- Manage client programmes focussing on pre-formulation, formulation and materials characterisation.
- Liaise with colleague’s including operational teams to resource such programmes.
- Associated data interpretation and report writing; peer review of data / reports generated by colleagues.
- Train and mentor colleagues in own specialist techniques, processes, instruments, providing user support, method and instrument troubleshooting and technical guidance.
- Within specialist area, advising commercial colleagues on the most appropriate solution to customer problems, including solutions not currently offered by the client in Bradford (but may be offered within the Group or could be offered through capital expenditure). Will contribute to, and review, discipline-related quotes when required to do so.
- Within specialist area, liaise and consult with appropriate colleagues within the Group to facilitate meeting a, customer requirement or provide technical / instrumentation support and back up.
- Method development and validation, including drafting of related documents (methods, protocols, reports).
- Client liaison, inter-group liaison, internal projects and initiatives.
- Contributing to and adhering to company standard operating procedures.
- Strong GLP background
- Typically, PhD in Pharmaceutics, Organic Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Science or related scientific field with demonstrated, relevant experience.
- Wide-ranging experience in the pharmaceutical industry in small molecule pre-formulation and formulation drug development across a range of delivery routes (oral, parenteral, inhalation etc.) and therapeutic indications.
- Experienced in interpreting data to provide formulation strategies to maximise bioavailability and exposure of poorly soluble drugs for pre-clinical and First in Human studies.
- Experienced in applying complex analytical instrumentation for physical-chemical characterisation of drug substances, excipients and formulations.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment (quality, health and safety).
- Familiarity with the drug development regulatory pathway (e.g. IND, CMC requirements).
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work in teams and multitask.
- Able to identify and highlight own training needs, and proactively upskill.
- Basic equipment maintenance and trouble-shooting skills.
- Proactive in your approach to your work.
- Strong written and oral communications skills; IT Literate.
- A full, clean UK driving license.
- Role is subject to probation and training on internal processes.
Our client offers a range of learning and development opportunities with structured career progression, in addition pension scheme, healthcare cash plan, retail discount scheme, cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, discounted gym membership and local reward and recognition schemes.
On this occasion, LiCa Scientific Ltd is acting as an employment agency.