Quality Control Scientist
Salary dependant on experience / competitive
We are working with a company that is revolutionising the approach to chemical development by using Fermentation. This method allows for an environmentally friendly production of chemistry which otherwise is manufactured in manners which are environmentally damaging. These products are surfactants, the surfactants they produce are used in a range of applications globally mainly in Home and Personal Care products.
They are seeking a Quality Control Scientist who will progress within the business and take on higher responsibility at this business grows. The business has two sites in the North West and has pilot plant facilities that will soon expand into full plant production of this chemistry.
What you’ll do:
The successful candidate will be responsible for running and developing our downstream Quality Control (QC) for biosurfactants produced in their pilot plant (Daresbury) and Manchester base. This QC will cover fermentations at laboratory scale and pilot plant (450 litres), as well as performing downstream processing and quality control analytics.
You will be operating downstream processing techniques, to enhance the performance of our biosurfactant products. This will include purification methods, as well as techniques for chemical analysis.
The role will involve working with the process development and production teams and supply chain function for raw material supply to ensure that the whole process provides products with suitable properties for a range of applications and industries.
This position will be based in Daresbury (in the pilot plant) and also work in Manchester when needed. In the future this may involve supporting plants overseas.
We are seeking highly motivated innovators who want to challenge themselves and others and fit well with their company philosophy, and first and foremost, get things done!
The individual should have:
• Experience in development creations of Quality Control systems, with the view to gaining ISO-Certifications in 2021.
• Experience operating several advanced Analytical Techniques, including HPLC, MS, GC, FTIR.
• Experience in QC, Analytical Techniques, such as titrations, and solvent extractions.
• Experience of Downstream Separation processes at Laboratory scale and ideally at Pilot or Industrial scale.
• Capability and desire to quickly develop processes iteratively and a willingness to test unfinished solutions.
• Proactive in ensuring work is completed accurately and efficiently.
• UK driving licence.
• Previous experience in Method Development and Validation.
• Specific knowledge of Analytical Techniques applied to biosurfactants.
• Experience of running fermentations.
• Knowledge of surfactant behaviour and formulation, in particular phase behaviour.
• Understanding of lipid/surfactant quantification and purification techniques.
• Experience of plant scale equipment and large scale chemical manufacturing.
• Understanding of global chemical regulations and certifications requirements.
On this occasion, LiCa Scientific is acting as an employment agency.