Microbiologist – Industrial Chemicals
6 Month temporary contract
£35,000 pro rata
We are hiring for a Microbiologist to work for a global chemicals company based in Manchester. This role will see you supporting the development of water based industrial fluids which have components prone to microbial attack, helping keep bacteria and fungi levels under control.
These fluids have a variety of industrial uses, mainly in metalworking fluids (MWF) and constitute a significant field for our clients business, this role will help ensure that these fluids are maintained in ‘Good Control’ and issues regarding microbial spoilage can be identified and remedied.
What you’ll do:
This is a role which will have several areas of accountability in a small team of Microbiologists based at Manchester. You will carry out the following:
- Carrying out microbiological testing in support of EU R&D projects; EU non-routine Technical Service work; EU Bio-audits relating to customers; particularly from our focus business segments; and wherever business is in jeopardy due to issues related to microbiology.
- Routine microbiological technical service work relating to UK customers and products.
- Supporting UK production function through ongoing monitoring of plant water and Effluent
- Evaluating new methodology/ test equipment to see how it can add value to our clients customers
- Keeping up to date on Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidance surrounding the use of MWF with relation to microbiological spoilage and preservation.
- Maintaining a harmonised approach with US based colleagues, in presenting data and benchmarking new and existing formulations for biostability.
- Maintenance of the culture collection (bacteria and fungi purchased from an outside source that are used for the Circulation tank tests. These cultures are required to be kept in good condition to ensure production of meaningful results when testing the bio-resistance of new development fluids).
- Cleaning of all equipment beakers, flasks, circulation tanks etc (this equipment is kept separate to the main lab glassware etc due to microbiological nature of the testing).
- Ensuring the laboratories are clean and, disinfecting benches – The cleaners do not go in the Microbiology Lab therefore general cleaning will be the responsibility of the role holder.
- Autoclaving and removal of all lab waste, autoclaving of all glassware
- Responsibility for all consumables used in the lab
- Identifying equipment needs
- All inoculation and sampling of long term tests
- Assessment of biocide from alternative suppliers/new biocide chemistry/novel non-biocide methods of treatment
- Assessment of new microbiological methods e.g. Mycobacterium testing, Endotoxin testing
- Periodic meetings with Biocide suppliers to discuss new chemistries, current and future legislation
- You will act as main contact for Biocidal Product Directive (BPD) issues.
We are seeking a BSc (or higher) qualification in Microbiology, coupled with around 3 year’s experience in the field. You will be ideally understanding of MWF testing and have a strong awareness of relevant safety legislation regards the handling of Microbiological organisms, laboratory health and safety, BPD and COSHH. You will ideally hold membership with an internationally recognised industrial society in Microbiology.
On this occasion LiCa Scientific is acting as an employment business.