Microbiologist – Fine Chemical Industry
We are working with a client who is developing the technological means to produce fine chemistry via microbial processes and are seeking candidates with expertise in this field.
This is a new role which will be exploring feasibilities and applications in the direction of microbial production of fine chemistry. The role will be therefore Research and Development with emphasis on the Research and some of this will be at quite a fundamental level, other aspects will be a few steps ahead towards commercialisation.
What you’ll do:
- High Through Put (HTP) mini fermentations to evaluate and screen microbial strains.
- Conduct fermentation process optimization using D.O.E. Surface Response Methods (SRM) using shake-flask fermentations.
- Generate and screen mutation libraries using Random Mutagenesis protocols.
- Validate strain performance and generate product for functional characteristic testing using (1-2) stirred tank bioreactors.
- The candidate will be responsible for preservation and cataloging of all strains used in the laboratory.
- Conduct routine microbial QC testing for products made onsite and occasional antimicrobial performance testing of new products under development by the various Business Units.
- Basic wet chemistry analyses of fermentation products: pH, viscosity, gravimetric and colorimetric methods.
- Routine laboratory equipment maintenance as identified.
- Maintain cleanliness and organisation of laboratory.
- We expect candidates will hold Ph.D. or equivalent in Microbiology, Microbial Genetics, Bioengineering or Bioprocess Engineering. Candidates with a degree in microbiology or a biotechnology field are preferred.
- Advanced knowledge and experience of microbiology, culturing techniques and quantitative microbiological methods.
- Knowledge and experience with microbial strain improvements particularly using random mutagenesis.
- Statistical background and working knowledge of D.O.E. methods a plus.
- Strong analytical chemistry acumen particular for microbial products quantification and characterisation.
- Microsoft Office suite software especially Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge and experience with bioinformatic programs, BLAST, jPHYDIT, Phyloscan, MG-RAST will be of interest.
On this occasion LiCa Scientific is acting as an employment agency.