Development Chemist – R&D
We are looking for a highly motivated Development Chemist to join our clients research and development team based in Dudley, North East England.
The successful candidate will develop the synthesis and manufacture of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) and intermediates for emerging drug candidates and established commercial cGMP products.
Creative thinking and hands-on experience in organic synthesis are essential.
What you’ll do:
- Developing and optimising synthetic organic processes.
- Designing and carrying out laboratory scale experimental chemistry work programs.
- Efficiently navigating the current literature through online platforms to solve complex chemistry issues.
- Defining critical process parameters to support regulatory filings.
- Preparing reports and presenting scientific results to customers.
- Providing technical support and oversight of developed processes during manufacture.
- On occasion, providing shift cover for cGMP processes.
- Working collaboratively with other project team members supporting analytical, engineering, manufacturing, quality and purchasing business functions.
- Working closely with Hazard Evaluation and Safety departments to ensure that all processes are safe at both laboratory and manufacturing scales.
- Preparing cGMP documentation to support transfer of processes to plant.
- Maintaining current and accurate laboratory records that document all experimental results.
- Complying with all safety, health, and environmental requirements
- Embody our company values, which are: be reliable, be caring, be transparent and be willing.
The successful candidate will have familiarity with analytical and characterisation methods used to develop organic synthesis and have expertise in the interpretation of analytical data (e.g. nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), gas chromatography (GC), Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) and differential scanning calorimetry (DSC)).
As our client is a contract development and manufacturing organisation (CDMO), project assignments will be varied in nature and will always include hands on laboratory work. Strong scientific reasoning, problem solving skills and flexibility in order to manage complex challenges will be required.
The manufacture of APIs requires a multidisciplinary team and the appointed individual will be expected to collaborate with a knowledgeable, diverse and international project team in an expanding company.
The Development Chemist candidate will work within a key customer facing role that works in partnership with customers to successfully deliver products with ease, commitment and scientific rigor. As such, applicants will be expected to have strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to present scientific results clearly and concisely.
Key Skills and Competencies
- A PhD degree in synthetic organic chemistry with up to six years’ relevant experience
- or a Master or Bachelor’s degree with three or more years’ relevant synthetic chemistry experience.
- A good working knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry and methods.
- A strong, reliable and adaptable work ethic.
- An excellent customer service focus.
- Good oral and written communication skills, to provide project updates and reports for internal and customer meetings/teleconference calls.
- Ability to effectively set priorities on projects and efficiently manage time to meet contract goals.
We also require candidates to be competent with IT systems, and in particular Microsoft Office including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
You will receive
A competitive salary, pension scheme, Perkbox, healthcare, 25 days annual leave, death in service coverage, on-site health and wellbeing support and medical consultation and physiotherapy, 24/7 employee assistance programme. Training and opportunities for further career development.
Our client is a global contract development and manufacturing organisation (CDMO) with more than 50 years’ experience in developing and manufacturing Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs). This is complimented by Antibody Drug Conjugate (ADC) research and development bioconjugation services.
They are a fast growing, dynamic business with facilities in the UK and the US, where they employ more than 800 talented and passionate people who support our customers in bringing new medicines to market, improving and saving the lives of patients.
Our culture and our way of working is what really sets us apart as a business; we aim to deliver an exceptional experience to our customers and our employees. You can expect to be part of a supportive team, all working towards a shared goal: to deliver first-class science and service to our customers every day.
On this occasion, LiCa Scientific is working as a recruitment agency.