Research and Development Manager
Preston (regular travel to Bentham)
We are working with a leading innovator in foam concentrates used in firefighting, their products out perform existing products in a range of areas and they are also keen to work in identification of new components and materials for use in this product range.
The Research and Development Manager provides scientific leadership, R & D management and people management skills for an international team of scientists to design and develop new fluorine free firefighting foam products to meet organizational needs, to exploit new opportunities, and to provide technical support to all parts of the foam business. The role is predominantly in Preston with a need for regular frequent travel to Bentham, N. Yorks.
What you’ll do:
- Provide scientific leadership to the developing Centre of Excellence for Research and Development
- Develop new and innovative PFAS-free firefighting foam products, taken through commercialisation to launch with all required documentation, fire performance, test certificates, safety data sheets, bill of materials and process instructions
- Maintain awareness of relevant scientific developments, industry trends and competitor activities.
- Observe highest safety standards.
- Maintain technical contacts with suppliers of key raw materials, Universities and industry bodies.
- Lead an international team of research scientists based in UK and France. Set clear targets and standards, direction, allocate project work effectively.
- Develop team members by coaching, mentoring, providing development opportunities, delegating where appropriate and providing support.
- Liaise with businesses to agree development projects, prioritise and plan work programs
- Manage the R & D function using appropriate methods
- Protect IP through patents and trade secrets
- Liaise with and provide ongoing technical support to foam manufacturing plants (USA, UK, France and Australia), sales and marketing programs, quality, safety.
- Provide regulatory support for new and existing products and materials
- Communicate effectively to peers and senior managers within the organization.
- BSc or PhD in chemistry or related discipline with extensive industrial experience
- Deep knowledge of formulating aqueous-based products containing surfactants and polymers
- Proven experience in people management and development / mentoring of scientific teams
- Track record of managing R & D and innovation using techniques such as project management, stage-gate process, portfolio management
- Experience of filing patents
- Willingness to engage in fire testing activities, and to rapidly develop an understanding of the key fire industry standards, protocols and drivers.
- Ability to work in teams both within R & D and the wider organisation
On this occasion, LiCa Scientific is acting as an employment agency.