Supply Chain Specialist
About the company:
Our client, based in Bristol, carries out synthesis of biologically active small molecule compounds. They are now in need of a Supply Chain Specialist to join their team.
Do you have a scientific background and understanding of chemical synthesis and related analytical chemistry?
Have you gained experience in a laboratory however now looking for a role that can apply your knowledge outside of the laboratory setting?
The Supply Chain Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day activities associated with sourcing the clients products. Selecting products, placing projects/orders, tracking progress up to delivery. Covers small molecules, peptides, biological and screening catalogue products. This role also has the opportunity to work with many departments in the business, both locally and globally, as well as building and maintaining relationships with external suppliers of goods and services.
Core responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Developing, maintaining, documenting and enlarging a network of off the shelf & bespoke suppliers of catalogue-type products.
- Obtaining quotes & selecting the most appropriate source for products. Negotiating the best price & terms. Making go/no-go recommendation to Supply Chain Manager.
- Ensuring all technical data is submitted & recorded on project completion.
- Sourcing raw materials for GMP production (including developing SOPs and related processes).
- Maintaining screening activities (replying to enquiries, maintaining Screening database, looking for business opportunities, compiling quotes for pricing, compiling documentation for customers, generating Screening reports)
Qualification and Experience:
- Science graduate (BSc as a minimum)
- Previous experience of sourcing in a chemical environment would be an advantage.
- Previous experience of handling screening libraries would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of the outsourcing process; industry norms and best practice.
- Working knowledge of production and analytical methods relating to peptides and small molecules (being able to navigate their way through products specifications).
- Commercial & scientific acumen coupled with good reporting and report writing skills.
- Resource investigator. Networking skills.
- Self -starter and autonomous.
- Negotiating and interpersonal skills. Willingness to question, challenge and resolve conflict with third parties.
- General business skills (communication, decision making, planning, financial awareness, etc.).
- High level of computer literacy (particularly use of on-line databases, MS Excel, MS Word).
- Attention to detail.
- Be able to review and assess complex synthetic chemical routes, determine if the route is chemically and economically feasible.
- Select the appropriate grade starting chemicals from the appropriate supplier.
- Be able to understand analytical data (NMR, HPLC, etc.) supplied when products are delivered in order to be able to commission further test or recommend acceptance to the Supply Chain Manager.
- PhD level (or experienced BSc / MSc) chemistry & practical laboratory experience therefore required.
Additional information: The role will require domestic and international travel, expected to be on average not less than once per quarter and not more than once per month.
In addition to a competitive salary the Supply Chain Specialist can expect to receive:
- Competitive base salary and annual salary reviews.
- A comprehensive benefits package including Bupa health and dental cover, Life Assurance, Long-term Absence Cover and Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Participation in a competitive pension scheme starting at 2% employee contribution, matched by 7% employer contribution; up to 6% employee contribution and 9% employer contribution.
- Training support as required.
- 25 days annual leave.
- Flexible working; core hours of 10am-12pm and 2-4pm.
To apply for the Supply Chain Specialist role:
Cover notes supporting your application are welcomed. On this occasion LiCa Scientific is acting as an employment agency.
Please email email@example.com with your most up to date CV and a cover letter.